Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sarria


Today started with me putting on my backpack and walking down the hall. After about 100 feet I knew there was no way I was walking 22km today.  So I made the decision to go to Sarria.  Sarria is the closest  town to the 100 km mark.    I can still get my Compestella (certificate),  it is actually 115km from Santiago.    This way I can rest my ankle longer and know that I still can finish my camino.   If I manage to make it all the way to the end, and still have time, I can take a train back to Leon and walk the parts I missed.

 I figured at this point I needed to get out of Leon and find a cheaper place to stay.  If I started walking from there I would just end up hurting my self again.   So I took a 3 hour and 40 minute train ride, well, really 2 trains. The first train took me to Monforte and the second took me to Sarria.
On the first train from Leon there were about 20 Pilgrims.  On the second train there had to be 100.    Most people that do the Camino start in Sarria and only walk 100K.
So here is what the train looked like



I guess you don't need to see to drive a train.


The trip started in this dry looking area with rolling hills


This is a picture of Eric and Jessica.   They stayed at the Parador when I was there and they even started the Camino on the same day as me. 


Then we got into the mountains


This sure is a beautiful country


Passed a lot of old mines


An old Railroad station


Pictures do it no justice


Passed a lot of rivers and lakes this one was a hydro dam


Can't tell from the picture but this is a slate mine.  All along the river there are smaller pieces of slate, at  the building there were  large slabs.


This is the second train station all that is here is the 20 or so that got off with me. We were all shocked how many were already on this train when we got on. I have no idea where they started from.


So I ended up with a swollen ankle just from the little walking I did today. The 10 minute walk from the Parador to the train station took me almost half an hour. So I guess I am back to resting for a bit longer.

6 comments:

  1. Boy what beautiful country.
    Hope you rest or the ankle will bother you for a long time.
    The weather here is nice today.
    Had a good fish fry last night.
    Made rhubarb jam today. O
    Hope you are able to walk soon.
    Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am resting it.
      I am hopping to walk soon to.
      Sure have made a lot of jam

      Delete
  2. I am glad you decided to rest your ankle a bit more. Are you staying in a hotel there? Maybe you can do some sight seeing for a few days in the area. Have fun!
    B4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another hotel just not the 5 star more like 2 star but it new and clean.
      If I don't hurt to much in the morning I am going to try and walk some. First town is about 6k from here. So as long as its warm and not to much pain I might try. I just don't want to put to many pain patches on again.

      Delete