Thursday, June 13, 2013

Boadilla Del Camino

Another day and another 29km. I started the day at 6:05 a.m.    It was overcast, so it was a little dark out.   This first picture is all that is left of a castle. (I think.....some one told me that.)

 

For the first few kilometers we walked along the valley.    I was sure we had to walk up out of it right away, so it was a pleasant surprise.


The sun came out for a bit while we were still in farm land.    There is 6 days of walking the plains, so this is pretty much all that there is going to be.   Fortunately, it's all beautiful.  


When I first saw this I was thinking it must be a castle


As I approached I was still thinking it must be a castle, but it was in ruins


But the sign shows I was wrong again..lol


I liked this picture of the sun shining through the arches.    If you click on the pictures you can see them much better.


Then the first town.   11km down already


I think this was a church but there were 2 other ones in town and we never walked close enough to this one to be sure


And this was a castle on the hill above town.  It's seen better days.  I guess no call for castles now


This is the big hill every one was talking about yesterday.    It was going to be so hard they all said


See it does not sound hard 1050 meters at a 12% grade


As soon as I got to the bottom who would be there but Movie Star my Italian friend. I laughed most of the way up that hill, of coarse at him with his 15kilogram pack.   He almost died trying to get up that hill.   I kept telling him to throw it over the side.    I ended up leaving him three quarters of the way up.   He was clearly going to take a couple of hours getting up it.


I wish my camera could show what a great view this was


I was amazed how great a view it was


This is what it was like once I got to the top for about 1km.


Then this is what we had 18% grade!   For only 350 meters, that was steep and hard on the knee


And this was the view




This is where I started walking with Daniel from Ireland.    He was walking the Camino with his Dad That was his Dad ahead with someone else.  It was hard to understand him with that strong accent.   We walked together for about 4km


I liked the clouds in this picture


This is some famous canal here.  It's for irrigation


This is my gps showing that I walked at 5.2km an hour its hard to read sorry


I have not seen an abandoned pair of boots in days.  Some one carried these a long way before discarding them


And this is the normal way that walking poles are used on the Camino.   Most people just carry them.   I'm glad I decided to leave mine at home.   Not only would I have had to check my baggage on the airplane, I would have had to leave them somewhere along the Way. 



I think next time I am getting one of these,or bring some grand kids, nieces or nephews, to carry my stuff.     


This is where I am everyone sits out here.   It's the only place in town.   There is no store just this Albergue with a resturant.   I asked a local where they get their food, and he said "We grow it".   Of course, so simple.


And this is what 5E gets you.   We are packed in like sardines here.


For 10E I could of got one of the ones on the top in this picture



8 comments:

  1. You are sure doing well.
    What beautiful scenery.
    I watched the Boston and Chicago hockey game last night until the end of the first overtime
    period. Chicago won in the 3rd overtime period.
    Great game. Made Harry happy.
    Sat. night is the Strawberry festival at White Meadows. I am volunteering.
    Keep on walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks
      Have fun at the Strawberry festival

      Delete
  2. Some nice pics Gerry. Looks beautiful. How far are you now? Are you almost half way? You are making very good progress. B4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ber
    Tomorrow I will cross the half way mark. This is a great country. I have no idea how the Italians ans the Spanish drink so much wine.
    Today was rough didn't sleep head was pounding I kept waking up from my head hurting. I can only take so many of the pain patches and the migraine meds and most days I am over what I should be taking. I want to get to Leon so I can take another couple of days off. In these small towns they only let you spend one night and kick you out at 8am.So I have no choice but to walk. I try not saying to much on the blog to keep Mom happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow half way mark. In only two weeks? That really is good. Not so good that you don't feel well though. I doubt tonights sleep will be that much better judging by that picture. A couple of days off will be nice. I don't know how they drink so much wine either....but I'd be willing to give it a shot! lol I had a bottle of wine from Spain on the weekend.....very very good! B4

      Delete
  4. Dad, you always make me laugh!!
    I have NO IDEA how you sleep like that. I know, I know, I am a princess--but seriously?
    I don't like sleeping that close to people I like never mind stinky snoring strangers...shudder.

    what are you up to when you aren't walking?

    It looks beautiful (it's so crappy here every day that it makes it even that much more appealing there)

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sara You don't think that would be fun. You know they are all my new best friends until the next day. And then I don't see most of them again.
      As soon as I get to the Albergue Its a shower than laundry then go shopping that is if the stores are open They all close for siesta different times anywhere from 1 to4 then open again at 7 till 9 or 10
      After shopping its time for some Tapas then hang out or check out the town. Then any time after 7 diner starts tonight it starts at 9. Then early to bed Morning is early

      Delete
  5. Those grades are pretty steep , but you made it. Making pretty good time.

    ReplyDelete