Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Birthday present Leon

Just to let every one know there are 2 blogs today this is the second one.  The first one is about the walk, this one is about my birthday present from my family.   I had a terrible migraine last night.    I only slept a little.  I kept waking up from my head hurting so much.   The pillow was too hard or my head was just sore from the pain.   I kept tossing and turning.   I felt sorry for any one in my room I felt like I was making way too much noise.   Then by the time I left it was down to a dull roar. And my ankle was hurting walking today but the swelling was down.   Now it feels like it's bruised.  It even has a bit of color to it like a bruise.
So this what you all gave me. And I have to say it is nice here.   I didn't get the suite like Martin Sheen in the movie.   That was a little bit more than I was willing to spend for a night, even if was your money. Besides with what's left I might get a room on the square in Santiago.   So this is what the place looks like walking up to it.   The Camino goes right by it. The first part of the building is a church, then there is a museum, then the hotel.


This is the entrance to the hotel.


 What a job they did restoring this place.


And here I am at the door looking happy


Here are some pictures of the room. Oh ya you can get a regular room here for about 30E less. 


They only had 2 single beds but I was ok with that.


It is a great room


This is the view from the balcony

 

nice eh


And the key is even neat, an old church key.    That brass emblem attached weighs like a half pound


They have a stair case to the first two floors and they have all these old paintings on the wall of old Kings and Queens.


And lots of old rugs.   Some are beautiful


This is the court yard out side


They have all these statues around it


Another view


And a look towards the center, and the second floor


Another one that lost her head


There are so many of these old frieze's, sculptures, and other various art forms, that I took over 300 pictures and didn't even scratch the surface


Another rug


A hand carved ceiling in wood


They charged me 7E for this coffee it was good but not that good.  They threw the cake in for free.


Another picture from out side.    I was waiting for some one to take the next picture and there was a group of school kids doing a tour of this place.


 the church


And here is the picture I was waiting for. Me with a pilgrim


These next few are the museum


Lots of this stuff is from the 12th to the 18th century


This guy sure was a scary dude


I like the way this one looked




The ceiling in the museum


Then I went to the church but they were starting mass


So I went into the coffins room


One of these coffins was from 978


Great detail for a coffin from the 15 hundreds


These faces are across the front of the building





You can see the faces on the front of the hotel


This is over the entrance to the hotel.  The detail is amazing


And this is the second floor of that outside court yard


Just another view of the same


And me taking the elevator.  No stairs for me.   


You could spend hours and hours wandering around here there is so much to see.   It is amazing what they have done with this place.
I was just talking to another Pilgrim that said it's not going to rain tomorrow so I might have to come up with another reason  to stay one more day.
My ankle is killing me.   Brenda tells me that is the best reason to take another day off and stay here a second night.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Gerry, nice pictures! Your hotel reminds me of one I saw in a movie once.....
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter also thinks you have a very good reason to stay an extra day!! Glad you are enjoying your birthday present :)
    You made me laugh pretty hard--I walked into the church but they were starting mass so i went to look at coffins instead HA HA HA HA! Dad, you crack me up!! I thought this pilgrimage was supposed to result in some type of spiritual awakening :) :)
    xoxoxoxoxo
    PS exam time here for the teens= my house is a war zone...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying real hard to come up with a reason to stay another day.
      Can you believe that I am the only one walking this Camino that isn't doing it for a religious reason that's what they all tell me.
      Sure spiritual awakening that's what is happening.
      Good luck with the girls
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. Beautiful place Gerry. I hope you enjoy it. Sounds like you are already. I say Brenda is right....take an extra day. You should have gotten the Martin Sheen suite though!
    B4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right I should have gotten the suite. But the hotel in Santiago is nice to. So this way I get 2 for the price of one.

      Delete
  4. So glad you are enjoying your stay there.
    It looks beautiful.
    The weather here is great.
    You look so happy in your pictures.
    Keep on walking.
    Mom.

    ReplyDelete