Sunday, June 2, 2013

Cizur Menor

I didn't get any sleep last night.   I didn't think people could make that much noise snoring.  It was 3.30  a.m. the last time I checked my watch and then at 5.30 one of them woke me.   I only got an hour or 2 of sleep.    I decided I needed to get away from that group of snorers so I walked 30km hoping most of them will stop at 20 kim.    I was lost in Pamplona for a bit, I think that added a kilometre or 2. So I probably went 31km. I am back with the people that I was with the first night.   The distance was not as bad as I thought, during the last 4km my feet started to hurt.   I am staying at Albergue Maribel. The woman running the place is great she has been doctoring feet for a couple of hours. I have never seen so many blisters I feel sorry for some of these people. I keep telling them to take a day or 2 to rest but they won't.   I am sure some of them will not be finishing their Camino.

A few pictures of my walk today.  There was no rain but it was still overcast. This old house had a cemetery attached.


The signs you follow look like this. 


There were some horses on the trail today. See the bells tied around their neck.  You can hear the bells while you are walking along.  The cattle also have bells around their necks.


This is another marker for the trail, a simple red and white strip.


I walked a long way along the river today and crossed over it a few times.


I was excited to see this sign only 8.1km to Pamplona I only had to go about 5 km past that.


This was the only hard climb today I didn't even have to stop going up it. But I did stop at the top for a rest.


They even have tunnels under the hwy.


Another old bridge.  I saw a few today


See how dead it is?  Everything is closed on Sundays.


Neat street, I like the way they have the trees trimmed.


These are the markers in Pamplona.  They are right on the sidewalk, and I still managed to get lost following someone else.   That'll teach me to rely on other people to know where they are going.


The old section of Pamplona is walled


And there is still the draw bridge.  It looks like it would still work


Streets of Pamplona


Just a old building


The water fountain for the pilgrims 


Saw a lot of wild flowers.   These are poppy's,  they sure would look better with some sun shine


You know,  it took the taxi 1 1/2 hours to drive from Pamplona to Saint Jean Port de Pied, and it took me 3 days to walk it.

7 comments:

  1. Well done Gerry, are you walking off the headaches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a lot of migraines so if I take my meds soon enough I can avoid them about 40% of the time and a head ache is nothing compared to a migraine. So yes I did walk off my headache.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it is a little better now.
    How do you walk that far in one day.
    I had a very busy day on Saturday at Fenwicks 160
    anniversary.Lots of people there.
    Keep walking.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just keep walking one foot in front of the other.
      What did you do at the anniversary?

      Delete
  3. Imagine how beautiful the landscape would be with the sun shining. Tomorrow should be a beautiful day for you. We had crazy rain here last night. Had I put a liner in the hole under the back porch, we'd have a pond! It was full of water this morning, but has been seeping into the ground slowly all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lions were set up in front of Lampmans and we sold hamburgs and hot dogs and water and pop.It was quite busy.
    Irv took me up town 2 times on his 4 wheeler, so I got to see everything. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. 31km in one day!! GEEZ!!! your crossfit daughter feels like she might be out 'fitted' right now!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete