Friday, June 7, 2013

Najera

An early start. They were up this morning at 5 banging around.   So I got up and left at 5:40 and got here at 11:05.   I walked 31km this morning, that was 5.25 hours walking without even  a coffee stop.
This is a bad day, by 9:00 a.m.,  I was dying from a wicked migraine.     It was overcast and even rained a bit.   I was either cold or too hot.    By 10, I was throwing up at the side of road.      I just kept walking .  I knew the end would be here soon enough.   Not that there was any place to stop.   In fact when I got here I thought I still had 5km to go.    I was so out of it, I missed one town all together.


This is the start of my day. Well that's after I found my way out of the big city. They never seam to mark the way out well.



The sun coming up.  I never did see the sunrise it was too overcast.


A new Camino marker to follow


Came to a lake or reservoir for Logrono


Walked around it then up the hill which gave a great view 


I saw this cross coming until I got to it and realized it was a old electric poll


Came across this fence with the crosses it went on for along time.


Some old and some new.    I passed on this ritual.


And the bull up on the hill!    I have no idea what this is for but we see them in Mexico as well.


Walked in wine country and you can see the color of the earth changing

This sign got me excited 576km to Santiago.    But that's by road I still have 625km on the walking trail.   Then if there is time, another 80km to the End of the World.



The blogs I read warned me about this clay.   If it rains this clay sticks to your shoes and builds up until you can't lift your feet from the weight.    Thankfully, I was through it before the rain hit.   It never rained that hard so I am sure it was fine.


This is a poem some Pilgrim put on a wall that is famous but at the moment I don't have it in me to look up what it says.




Met this guy and he called me over to show me what he was doing.  The funny thing is I thought he was picking snails. Some told me yesterday they saw a guy doing that


It was wild mushrooms


He even showed me how to find them. And to tell the truth I was so sick by this time I couldn't care less but I was nice and thanked him.   Under normal circumstances I would have been very interested.   Some of the locals are so friendly.


My first RV in Spain.   


A church in Najera


I got a private room because I am just going to sleep the day away and I will never be able to in an Albergue.  They are way too noisy.    So this is what 15E gets you in Spain.


Even a little siting room


6 comments:

  1. Maybe I missed it, but how are you getting such regular internet access? Do all of the places you stay have wi-fi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far he has been lucky. He has a book (well, he scanned the book into the computer to keep the weight down)_with all the hostels listed in it. It tells him if they have wifi or not. Also, when ge gets into town, if they don't have wifi, he checks the other hostels, or goes to a bar. Today, he has no wifi at the hotel he booked, but the bar down the road does. We skyped for a little while, but he is a mess with his migraine today, so he has gone back to the hotel to take another nap.

      Delete
  2. The bulls are from an old advertising campaign for sherry. They have become a tourism icon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I had no idea is it the same for Mexico

      Delete
  3. Holy crap Gerry.....31 km with a migraine! Way to go! Told you you should have had some of that wine! Guaranteed to ward off those migraines. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, Yeah, he should have had the wine, considering he had two nasty migraines, two days in a row. What the hell, even if the wine causes a migraine at least he would have had a buzz to go along with it.

      I skyped with him today. He is a mess. The room he has has no wifi, so he had to go to the bar down the road...now he is back having another nap.

      Delete