Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Palas de Rei

Today I tried something new.    Walk slower.     I left at 6:30 a.m. and got here at 12:45 p.m.    Our average walking speed was 3.7km.    My ankle didn't hurt at all today, but it did seem to take a painfully long time to get here.    A woman I met along The  Way, Kirsten, asked me to walk with her.  I was hesitant because she walks slow and I walk fast, but I decided to give it a shot.     I said I would try it one more day just because my ankle didn't hurt.    It was nice to have someone to talk to all day.

It's funny, the term "The Way"  will forever be changed for me.
This is the first picture of the day crossing back over the river. Then we had to climb out of the valley.


It was some very nice country again today


Look at this..... people passing me!!!!   


I had the urge to speed up and pass them but I held back


We even saw a couple of cranes today.   I  had not seen any nests for a couple of days


This is what a good part of the morning walk was like


Just some more beautiful country side


Old buildings are always interesting to me


More of the days trail




Then we got the usual walk along the hwy for awhile


More of the countryside


See I am here


And this is the cause of my slow walking.


Beautiful isn't it


More of the same


Old buildings.  If only they could tell their stories


And an old Ox cart


Free Hugs


More of the trail we seemed to get it all today


Look at slow poke.   No waiting from me..lol


Giant ant lawn ornament.


Not a church but a cemetery


Got to see some sheep


And these next pictures are some of the grain storage sheds all sizes









And the winner is.

10 comments:

  1. Nice pics. So how far did you go today? How much further until the end?
    B4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was around 23km and its about 68km to Santiago. But tomorrow will be 30km see how that goes.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! Why so long tomorrow? You better take it easy on that ankle. Did you find a private place to stay today?
    B4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go that far so I could get into a private place. There are way to many young kids on a weeks holiday. They are doing some heavy partying so there is no way I am staying with them.

      Delete
  3. Really liked the 'grain storage sheds' series of photos. Seems the final 100 could be the most diverse in it's visual attractions. It's 'The way'... are you getting spiritual on us Ger? Have a great last leg (pun intended). Are you thinking of travelling a bit more while you're over there? Paris, Barcelona, Lisboa? Be well. C&M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well actually I am planning to walk to the end of the world after Santiago. That's Finisterre its another 89km. On the Ocean you go to the light house and watch the sun set. Then you are suppose to burn your clothes and what ever else. I could see the burning of the clothes did you ever spend a month and a half in the same 2 pants 2 shirts and 2 underwear and socks that stand by themselves. Who wants to bring them home. Its some thing to do with getting ride of all your possessions and starting over. Well the clothes are as far as I am going the rest is coming home with me.lol after that it depends how much time I have left to travel around.

      Delete
  4. Gerry, your trek is amazing and your blog coverage astounding. Had I known, I would have come with you. Oh, I wouldn't have actually hiked the Camino, I would have walked with you for the first km or two, then referenced your trip in my daily blog as I did Brenda in Xpu-Ha. That way I'd have an excellent blog with no work. Yup, lazy to the nth degree. Stay healthy and take your time. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paul I see you have not changed. It has been an amazing time and I have met people from all over the world. You know there are lots of people that only walk around town then get a taxi or bus to the next stopping point so they can party with the same people every day. They still get to see lots of the country and they feel like they are part of it all. I think they are cheaters but to each his own. Like they say every one does there own Camino. So maybe you could do it. LOL.

      Delete
  5. Gerry, it´s been great walking with you these past two days! I so appreciate your company and stories! I posted on Facebook that your slow pace is my actual pace! Speedy Gonzales, that´s you! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey to start with sorry I spelt your name wrong got to fix that.
      And it has been great. I have enjoyed it a lot.
      Thanks for putting up with me.

      Delete