Friday, June 14, 2013

Carrion De Los Condes


Well today was a big milestone, I have passed the half way point to Santiago. And it was kind of easy 26km.    I was told this is the flattest day of the Camino.
This picture is of Keith.  He started walking in Wales on his 70th Birthday and has been walking for 2 years.    He is walking for a charity  (I didn't ask what one, I give to enough already.)   He told me he wrote a letter to Martin Sheen.   He addressed it  to Martin Sheen, California USA.     He asked him to support him on his walk for Charity.    Martin Sheen's wife wrote him back and said Martin didn't want any publicity, and he was proud to give a donation of 500 dollars to any one that would put that much time into his Camino for Charity.     You do meet all kinds of people here.



My 2nd bird.... almost.


This was the start of today we walked along a canal for about 5km


I think this was built for Pilgrims to get out of the rain


It was a beautiful morning


Even saw the sun rise


This is the name of the canal


The canal is for irrigation  


My first Stork of the day you can just see the little ones in the nest


I have seen a lot of these cut outs along the trail

See how flat it is


And these are the markers for most of the day


The biggest Artichokes I have ever seen


Some irrigation.   These are every where here, this must be dry land


Even with water running in them


Then I followed along this stream for 3 or 4 km.   A lot of the others took the route along the road because it was shorter, but I chose this one much because it was nicer than walking along a road.  It was a bit farther


Just another bridge


This was the only hill today.   It was about 5km long at a 2% grade.


This is looking up the hill


And the first sight of town, with more poppy weeds 



There is a guitar festival tonight in town and we are all invited


I am staying at the Albergue that is attached to this Church. At 530 there are vespers what ever that is. then a meeting at 6, then service at 8 and then diner at 9.    Don't know if it's mandatory or not??


And the Church was open


With the biggest Storks nest I have ever seen

7 comments:

  1. wow, getting cocky are we? Taking the long way? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not cocky just smart walk on pavement or dirt. Dirt wins every time.

      Delete
  2. Another nice easy day, and now past the half way mark, good going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George it has been a great trip so far.

      Delete
  3. It looks like the long way was beautiful.
    The scenery is amazing.
    I just made 2 rhubarb custard pies. Want a slice?
    How is the food? Hope you are getting enough.
    Over half way. Good for you.
    How are the headaches?
    I am surprised you are able to walk when you have one.
    Keep on walking.
    Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The long way was the best because I didn't have to walk on pavement.
      And I would love a piece of pie.
      I have had some but I don't have a choice about walking they kick you out at 8am so I have no choice

      Delete