Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Burgos

So today was a day of either 18k or 38. At 4:00 a.m. they started getting up, I have not figured out why. They sit around make breakfast and talk.  I always leave before any of them.   So this is me heading out at 6:10 a.m.    And for the record that was the best Albergue I have stayed in.


Right from the start it was up hill.   I think the first hill was 300m.   Boy, that sounds small.   You should try it at a 10% grade or more. This is the picture looking back to where I started from.  See the lights?


And this was the second hill it had a fire tower at the top


When you go up you have to go down.


There were 3 hills in a row this morning over a distance of about 4km


It kept getting windier, then I saw these.   They have a lot of them in Spain.  It seems they have done their homework and chose the windiest spots for them.


And it was cold I was sweating from going up the hills, then the cold wind hit and it wasn't nice at all,  


The path went into the pine forest for awhile so that helped with the wind


Then just like, that the first 12k are over


This is the Church and Albergue in San Juan.   Everyone I met coming out said if you ever come back don't stay here.   


Rock circles

Then it was rolling farm land


Hey Adrian I was thinking of you when I saw this town, I'm not sure why....???? lol


And I love the distance sign because by the end of day it will be under 500k to go


I got to follow the sheep trail for a few km.


I came across this fence and was wondering what kind of sheep they have here to need a fence like this


Then I saw this and under stood.  It's a military base, and they didn't want any sheep sneaking over the line


This was the first time that I wished I had walking boots.   It sure was hard to walk on



Just another view


I brought a little bag of Canadian Flag pins to give away.   (thanks mom)   If I don't find anyone to give one of my pins to, I leave one on the marker




And a cross at the top of sheep hill


And here are the sheep


The first sight of where I am going. But the trail leads way around.  You have to go through 4 more towns before you get here


And a guy and his ass... I was wondering if it would be easier or harder to walk the Camino with an ass.


See the trail along the road on the side. That's what we had to follow for about 12k today


And I bet you know what I was thinking.   If you don't know, then I suggest you watch The Way.  


Another Stork and it has a baby

 

See this sidewalk this is what we got to walk on for the next 10k.   No fun, it hurts to walk on this.   Everyone complains about walking on cement or pavement


And the Cathedral of Burgos


So today ended up being 38k.  A long walk.   We have no internet at the Alberg so I had to go to a bar to do this blog. Now I need to go do my laundry. eat and buy tomorrows supplies.   Stores either close at 2 or 4 and open again at 7, so it is always running from one thing to another.   Bedtime comes early because morning comes even earlier

9 comments:

  1. Awesome blogs and an amazing adventure..........but.......what have you done with the Gerry we knew in Xpu-Ha?

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we live about a 5 minute walk to the beach, and it is probably double the length of Xpu Ha beach, you'd think walking it 3 or 4 times a day would be enough..no? lol

      Delete
    2. Hey Paul So your sticking with me threw this crazy thing. Its still me the same guy...

      Delete
  2. I wonder what those rock circles are all about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People with a lot of time on there hands. Just my guess

      Delete
  3. Lovin' the blog Gerry... amazing perseverance! You planned for the unknown and you're discovering it one day at a time. Well done, and looking forward to more stories/photos/revelations. And just how many churches are there in this walk? Whew! Hope the tapas menus are equally inspiring! Best, Carrie & Maico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carrie so far the tapas are my favorite thing about Spain didn't know there was so many different ones. And Churches are every where.

      Delete
  4. how long does it take you to walk 38K? It sounds daunting to me!!!!!Hope day was a lighter day for you so that your legs/knees/back dont get too tired
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only took me 7.75 hour did it at a speed of 4.9 km an hour there is always some unexpected torture about this Camino

      Delete