Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mansilla de los Mulas

Today I got up and the ankle was not swollen, but it hurt to walk.    I went out side and it was not raining.    So I decided to head out.    I left at 6:30 a.m. and got here at 1:00 a.m.     It was 26 km by my GPS and the book said it was 24.

This is the first picture of the day see the sky?



Could see some sun through the clouds


The first part of the day was walking along the road.


Then I came to the Roman road Which was about 15km long and there was nothing along this road.   No houses nothing. 


This is what it looked like.


many kilometres of the same thing 


Still more farm land


All of a sudden I could here this funny noise I had never heard before.  Then this train goes whizzing by.    It was electric....out in the middle of nowhere!


Still have the mountains to the right


I see a lot of rocks with notes on them


And still seeing these where someone ended their Camino suddenly.


Came across this valley with a bunch of trees planted I have no idea what kind. At first thought they were Popular but they weren't


They had this part of the road fenced off.   I guess they are trying to save it.


And the first empty irrigation canal




Then we got on a gravel road


I left another Canadian flag, I wonder if anyone finds these?


The first corn I have seen


Then the trail got ugly


And finally I was here


And the Stork as the town greeter


The entrance into old town


I love these stairs.   See the angle?   One side is about 3 inches higher than the other.   


And the laundry is hanging out


The name of the place I am at.   Friends of the Pilgrim.


It's market day so that is always fun.


Some of their goods


Dried fish


And the old wall around old town


More of the wall.   It is like 6 feet thick


And the bridge out of town


Tomorrow I'll be in Leon and will spend my birthday present on a hotel room.   The Parador.   It is the same place in the movie The Way, that Martin Sheen and friends stayed at for a night of luxury.    

9 comments:

  1. At least you have a nice market to check out in the afternoon while you rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the markets. The only thing wrong with them is I cant buy any of the good deals no room in the back pack. I don't thing anyone RVs in this country I have only seen one and one Trailer.

      Delete
  2. First time I have seen people and cars.
    You are making great time.
    Enjoy your stay in Leon.
    The market looks like fun.
    Had my physical today and everything was really good, so guess making 110 jars of jam didnt hurt me.
    Weather is cool today.
    Keep on walking.
    Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks that is all there is to do walk and then walk some more.

      Delete
  3. Oh cool....the hotel!! You have to take lots of pictures. Are you going to get a massage? Happy Birthday! B4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ber. I have no idea yet what I will be doing. They wont let me check in till 12. And at the moment it is raining I hate walking in the rain. If it is raining tomorrow I might just stay in the hotel all day.lol

      Delete
  4. Peggy asks how many "Ojo de Venado" have you found? We hope you decide to come back to Xpu-Ha. By the way if you come to the states, our cabin is only 30 minutes off I-79 in WV. You can come for a visit. Here is my website: http://www.keelhauler.org/cabin/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long do you think it would take him to walk there? :)

      Delete
    2. Peggy I have not found any. And thanks for the invite some time I might take you up on that. It would be nice to get together again.

      Delete