Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Los Arcos


Los Arcos, according to the guy that owns this albergue this town used to make bows and arrows. They made the best in the world.   Should I believe him?
Well the walk in the morning started at a little before 6:00 a.m., and I was here at 10.15 a.m.. 21km was all I could do today.    It was a great walk till a migraine hit half way through it.    I took my pills which didn't help.   I put on my darkest sun glasses and kept going, but there was no place to stop.  That was a little rough going but I made it a lot faster than I thought. With the migraine I didn't feel my feet hurting because the head hurt to much.
This pic is the fountain of wine it runs a little slow but its free I didn't have any because I was afraid it would give me a migraine.   I guess I should of had some maybe it would have helped.




One half is water the other wine



I even got to see the sun rise


Now I am leaving the cliffs behind


Another pair bites the dust. Today I saw 3 pairs of shoes, and one was an expensive pair of Nikes.    It does not matter how much they cost, if they are not comfortable leave them at home.....or somewhere along the Way.


This pic is for Chris's brother I hear you are following the blog.   Well that's Chris. I was proud of him today he kept ahead of me almost all the way to Los Arcos, but then I had to pass him. lol


I have no idea if this is a drinking spot or not I sure was not going to drink from it.



Another church.   I only passed this one today, but I saw a couple in the distance.


This is what the trail was like today.   Sometimes it was just through farm fields.


That on the left is cut hay


The first part  of this mornings walk, I saw a lot of other pilgrims.  Later on it was just me and Chris until we reached Los Arcos. 


A well decorated shack.   I am sure some one lived here.


 I finally passed a bike. Flat tire.   I didn't see him the rest of the walk.


Another hay field but look at the sky this must be a major cross road for planes.     Conspiracy theories anyone?


And they have started to bail


Nice flower never saw one like it before


And wild dill


I can't think of what spice this is but I knew it when I took the picture.   ???? Migraines make my brain mush.


This one speaks for it self. You hear that a lot and say it a lot.  When ever you pass someone or they pass you, even the locals are saying Buen Camino.


When I saw this all I could think of was the movie, The Way. What is the meaning of this place. Like the dog fight near the cheese factory (or was that a winery?)... If you saw the movie you will know what I am talking about.    I was laughing out loud thinking of that scene. If any one saw me they would have thought I was as crazy as the character in the movie seemed to be.   No ,this is not the same place the movie was shot, but it looks similar enough to it that it conjured up the image. 


Walking this part I was feeling sorry for the slow walkers.   They are going to cook out here in the afternoon.  


I have never seen such old grape vines the trunks were about a foot across, and they were not wired.  It seemed strange.


The first sight of Los Arcos


And the town centre


The first coffee


This is for Chris's brother.  The green shirt is Chris hobbling to the bar seeing if his feet could make it another 7km.   We had a coffee and said our good buys and he was off moving kind of slow.


I decided to stay here.   I had to wait till noon but the guy let me in at 11, because of my head ache.   He made me a deal on a private room for 20E with dinner and breakfast.     I had a quick shower and then slept a good part of the day away all drugged up.     The migraine is now reduced to a very nasty headache.    I usually think of this type of a headache as a migraine hangover.     

14 comments:

  1. Gerry, I'm loving following you on your Camino. I too loved the movie "The Way". I'm wondering, had you planned how far you expected to walk each day and are you about on schedule for a 43-day walk?
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn. I have a guide book That actually does the Camino in 34 days. So far I am still following it but with my migraines I might have to take a day or two off I hope not more than that. It is an experience I will remember for the rest of my life.

      Delete
  2. Looks like if you can keep up that pace you should be able to make, as long as the migraines don't knock you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good they have not been as bad as I get them some times. Keeping the fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. Well at least the weather looks better! Looks like you are making excellent progress. I have to come there for that wine fountain! How could you not try it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get over your headache fast.
    I would love to be there with you.
    Oh to be younger.
    Keep enjoying.
    Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny I keep saying that oh to be young

      Delete
  5. A friend of mine said to me: " Brenda btw I am really enjoying Gerry's Camino. Love the pics.
    You might want to mention the Spanish civil war to him. He's in the area where there was alot of fighting. You can see bullet pock marks in some of the walls and in some places, walls are blown apart by cannon fire and have not been rebuilt. He's entering an area that is somewhat like Sask."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gerry,

    We are enjoying your blog immensely. Keep up the good work as we are all behind you. Today we have Ann and the other Gerry from Xpu-Ha and I'll share your blog with them.

    Paul and Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul & Helen! Say hello to Gerry and Ann for me. We all get to live vicariously through Gerry this summer. I'm so happy he is doing this...but it makes me want to go to Spain too. No, not to walk for 800 K. I'd rather wander around and then get to sleep in Myrtle or a nice hotel room at the end of the day. :) Big suck, that's me!

      Delete
  7. That's funny, Age got a headache on Friday and then Saturday he wasn't feeling well and I referred to that feeling as a migraine hangover - and here I thought I'd coined the term.

    Did you bring extra shoes with you or will you have to take you chances trying to buy a pair if yours wear through?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an extra pair. I did have sandals to but they were left along the trail to much weight lol

    ReplyDelete