Thursday, June 27, 2013

Arzua

Today's start was at 6:30 a.m., it was a bit dark, windy and cold.   I didn't take my jacket off till 10:30. It was a long day, we walked until 3:20 p.m. Slow and steady, for a total distance of  31km.,with an average walking speed of a little less than 3.6km an hour.   My ankle was not too bad today but the right knee was killing me on all the down hills.  

We had to walk through 7 valleys so there were a lot of down hills today.   Kirsten's ankle and her knees were hurting today so it was a slow day.  (sorry, yesterday I spelled Kirsten's name so wrong it wasn't even the right name anymore)
This is the first picture of the day.


And then some weird statue.  I'm not sure what they are doing.


I kept hearing we were going to walk through the Eucalyptus trees and today I finally saw them.   At least I think that's what they are.


Yesterday first thing in the morning we saw these two girls, then at the end of the day they were at the same Hostel as us. Then this morning here they are leaving again. I asked where they were stopping.  Well actually they didn't have a clue what I was saying, so Kirsten  asked in Spanish.   It ends up they were going to the same place as we were.   So we walk as far as a horse does in a day.     I was thinking they would go 5 times farther than us. 


It was another great day for scenery


For some reason we didn't see as many Pilgrims today.   Either they took the day off, started earlier or they were way behind us, because they never passed us all day.  Well a few did but not that many.


There were a lot of nice trails today


And a lot of up and downs


Another stand of eucalyptus trees


And another boot.  Did you notice the laces are always gone?


Looking down at another valley. My knees are so happy...lol


Why do the eucalyptus trees lose their bark?


First coffee of the morning this woman that owned the place was so nice.


Me holding up one of those guys.... who ever he is.   Looks like a king to me but I am sure he isn't since it is on the front of the Church.


And the little things that amuse people.


Some more wild flowers


Even a bridge


And another one with me on it



I took a picture of this dog and then the owner comes up to me and asks for a donation.  He said anyone that takes a picture of the dog he ask for donations for charity.   He said it was for cancer so I didn't mind.  I don't know if I believe him or not but if it is true good for him.


Another milestone!   50km to go


And here comes the limper across the stone bridge


How do you like the looks of this ankle. It reminds me of what mine looked like before it went black and blue


This is the nicest walking stick I have ever seen.


And this is Dean the owner of the stick. He told me a friend made it for him. Also he said he was from Sweden and that's where he started his Camino from and today he hit 1000km.   He said he had a nice long walk.

Kirsten laughing about whether we need one of these to carry us and the back packs.


For sale!  A little fixer upper


Every valley we came to we kept saying ya this is the last one. Boy we were wrong a lot.


And then the sign of the day


And this town centre


The next 2 days are short ones, then we will be in Santiago.  One is 19km and one is 20km, so it should be a couple of easy days.

2 comments:

  1. You had a long walk today and a long day.
    Get your rest.
    It poured rain a few minutes ago.
    Harry, Diane, Julie and I are going to Ridgeway to Waynes service tomorrow.
    Dont try to walk too far at a time.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent day, and so near the end, enjoy your last two easy days.

    ReplyDelete