Monday, June 17, 2013

Calzaadilla de los Hermanillos

So today was a short day.   I was going to do 32 today and then a 24km day tomorrow to be in Leon, where I was going to take an extra day.   But when I woke and went out side it was raining and cold.   I started my walk with the intention of still doing the 32km but my ankle and the cold said no.   So I only did around 14km.   The ankle is  swollen  to twice its regular size.   The new plan is to do two shorter days to get to Leon.   I have lots of time so there is no worry about slowing down and letting the ankle get better.    I left at 6:00 a.m. and got here at 9 a.m. which is slow for me.   So for tomorrow it's either 18 or 24km.  Then the next day will be the same ether 18 or 24km.   I think I will even start later in the morning to let it warm up some.   Still a 10% chance of rain tomorrow.  

The cold rain is unbearable for me.   It is like torture.
This is a picture of me from yesterday.  Do I look skinnier?   I don't feel like I have lost much. 



This was the start of today I could see the sun coming up behind me. But It was raining and windy.


If you look hard you can see the rainbow and yes it was raining


And I got to see a sun rise.


This is the first part of the trail today


This was the second part of the trail.


And this is the town where I am staying.  See how dead it is?   Sometimes I wonder if I am in a dream.


No another person or car



This is in the afternoon.  See the blue sky?   I think I'll leave later the next two days, since they will be shorter.   Then I can walk in the sun shine.   


And this is looking the other direction


And this is where I am staying it was the only place open in town.   The only restaurant also.   I got a single room for 30E.    Last night was a bad night.   The beds were like coffins laying on there sides.   I tried to sleep in them but woke with a panic attack at 2:00 a.m.     I was out walking the streets.  When I finally settled down I went back inside and grabbed my blanket and pillow, went down to the lobby,  put some chairs together and slept on them.     Some crazy came down at 4:30 a.m. and woke me.    I ended up leaving at 6:00 a.m. and he was still there.



Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.    I hope to get my ankle soaked and a good night sleep in the private room.   Perhaps the swelling will have a chance to come down. 

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with your ankle and getting a good nights rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The swelling is down but it still hurts.

      Delete
  2. Did you twist your ankle?
    Hope the swelling goes down.
    Just finished making strawberry jam.
    I made 107 in 2 days.
    Have a good rest.
    Miss you.Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea I don't remember twisting it.
      The swelling is down it just hurts some today.
      That's a lot of jam.

      Delete
  3. Hi Gerry, Peggy & I watched the movie, The Way, last night. We enjoyed it. I was curious, many of the Albergues looked pretty crumby. I was wondering if you are allowed to camp along the way or is there a safety problem. Are there any campgrounds at all? I would much rather lie in my 2 lb. bivy sack or tiny tent in my own clean, quiet quarters then some of those noisy rooms.
    We biked the 300 km. trail once from Cumberland, MD to Washington, DC and there were little trailside camps every 15 KM. Are you guys coming back to MX this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy and John. There are some camp grounds or places they allow you to camp. But there are other places you are not allowed to.
      It is not a safety problem its more that its private property.
      Some of the Hostels are pretty crumby but lots are way better than you would think. It does take some time to get use to sleeping with 30 to 150 of your new friends.
      We are heading back to Mexico but have not discussed were we are going this year.

      Delete
    2. Mexico? I was thinking Gerry might be stuck on Europe and want to head to Portugal this winter...heck, he could just keep on walking. :)

      Delete