Saturday, June 8, 2013

Santo Domingo

The start of the day was this marker 582km to go but the guide book says its 625 I wonder which one is right. As you can see up another hill to start your day.


Another overcast day and it was 90% chance of rain. I lucked out and didn't get any


Most of the day was on farmer's roads


Yes that's snow on top of that mountain


I took this picture to show the irrigation systems they have all over this area.    I remember thinking how happy I was that I didn't have to walk that road

 

The first town of the day you can see the Church steeple but I think it is one of the only ones we didn't walk by 


More irrigation


This is the newly weds they did 6 weeks rock climbing coarse and now the Camino. This is them stopping for breakfast. I think there names are Eric and Amy but don't quote me I am so bad with names


Look what I came across today a guy collecting snails


He just picks them off the weeds.


Then we got a little mud to play with


This is what most of the morning looked like


The next picture's are of a town someone built then the economy collapsed 99% are empty


It was an eary feeling walking through here



They have a swimming pool and a golf coarse


This is hops so they must make beer here I thought all they drank was wine.


Such a beautiful country


This is the hill that killed my knee The strange thing was I was going up it when it started to hurt. That usually happens on the down hill. It was a rise of 300m in 1.5km 


This is the other side with me hobbling down


The Church in Santo Domingo. I am going to try and go see it




And this is how I spoiled myself on my Birthday


This is the view from my room

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Dad!!!!
    I got up at 7am this morning and you already had today's walk done!! WOW!
    I hope that you do much more than just have a nice room for your birthday!!! Enjoy the day!
    I hope that your migraines ended with two days and that you get a headache free day for your birthday
    love you lots
    Sara, Tom, Maddy, Ryleigh and Kennedy
    xoxoxooxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks just got in. Some of the other walker bought me a beer. They wanted to get me drunk. I don't think they understand migraines
      love Dad

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to my son.
    Glad you were able to walk today.
    That looks like a nice room.
    Enjoy yourself.
    It is dull again today.
    Had a good fish fry last night.
    Miss you.
    Keep up the good work.
    Love, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks It has turned cold here I hope it warms up before tomorrows walk

      Delete
  3. Gerry,

    Once again, I wish you Happy Birthday (as I did on the previous page, in error)!

    May God bless you and provide for all your needs.

    Happy Birthday!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Gerry! The pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete