Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sahagun

So today I still had a headache but decided to walk.    Migraine hangovers are brutal.   I was going to be passing a lot of small towns, after the first 17km.    There is nothing in that section you just walk down gravel roads.
This was the start at 5:30  a.m.,   the sign says 401km



It was dark out the camera lightens ever thing but it was so dark that I missed a sign and went the wrong way for 1.5km, then turned around and found the right way.    By this time I was tempted to just turn around and take another day off, but I forged on.

The sun coning up again in this picture you can see how dark it is


There was even low lying fog


This is what the road was like for the first 17km


Just farm land, no hills


No idea what this is about but Canada had something to do with it


A rest stop this would be great in the rain, or in the afternoon when it gets so hot


You can see the color of the fields changing


Then the first town


It's Sunday so nothing was open and not one person was on the streets.  It is a very surreal feeling.


Then we had to walk along the side of the road


Some one had a lot of time to put all these rocks on the road


Neat colors


Cows waiting for their chance on the road


Then I came across this this burro, it was having no part of this Camino thing. 


The woman would smack it and it would take 3 steps then stand still. She would try leading it but the same, 3 steps stop. She would stand behind it and try to smack it to keep it going it would ether take 3 steps or head into the field.


I would have walked 100 feet with this thing and then left it along the side of the road. The amount of yelling coming from her I think she wanted to kill it. She spoke Dutch so no idea what she was saying. This was some real entertainment, for 20 minutes then I had to get going.


Some solar panels.  I saw a few today.  This sure is a green country, with all the wind mills which I have seen every day and now solar


Nice break in the color


This was some homes built under ground


And another dead town But I liked the sign....only 375 k to go!  (Then another 80 to the end of the world)


These are sunflowers any one walking in the fall will have a great show here


According to the plaques on these 2 statues, this is the geographic center of the Camino. And they made us walk 2km out of our way to get here.   After walking 42km today, I didn't need to see this.     Do I sound like a complainer?   Well I was at this moment when I realized why they made us walk all the way here.    I had already passed the half way spot a day ago.


So It was a long walk and too much sun, by 1:30 when I finished for the day.   My leg muscles are hurting and the ankle is swollen a bit again.

I should sleep well tonight, but first I must have an afternoon nap.  

8 comments:

  1. Gerry, I had no idea that you started your trip until today when Brenda posted her New Orleans blog. So I started at the first post and went through each picture and blog until today's. I saw you wrote about the movie "The Way" with Martin Sheen. We watch a trailer and decided we will watch the whole movie tonight from Amazon.com, to get a better idea of what your walk is like. I hope as you walk you eventually get cured of your Migraines. We will be keeping tract of you now. A great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I think you will like the movie

      Delete
    2. Oh John, you will love the Way. Maybe you and Peggy will be heading to Spain yourselves next!

      Delete
  2. Love your pics and story telling!
    The one pic that you thought was a Canada something isn't. The word is Cañada not Canada. There is no relation to Canada. It means glen in Spanish.
    That derned ñ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking it might have some other meaning then Canada. Thanks my Spanish is bad.

      Delete
  3. That woman was sure having trouble with her burro.
    Hope you had a good Fathers day.
    The Strawberry Festival was sure busy.
    I bought a couple of pails and spent all day making jam Got 70 jars so far and more to do tomorrow.
    Cant sleep, just over tired.
    Hope you feel better.
    Keep on walking.
    Miss you. Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you made pretty good progress with the migraine hangover, the end is getting closer everyday. Good job.

    ReplyDelete