Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Hontanas

Today was going to be an easy day only 21km, but it turned out I went 32km.  This is everyone starting out at once.   They kept the doors locked till 6:30 so there were about 100 people leaving at the same time.


It took about 2km for the crowds to thin down.
This is the streets leaving Burgos.


There was some fog this morning.


The Storks were out feeding in a hay field. No idea what they eat but there was 6 of them here


Every thing looks so good in the morning.    See that hill?    I was sure we would have to climb it.   But we didn't, we went up it, but on an easier route.


I walked along the river for a bit then crossed over it.


Then the first town and the first stork nest


This graffiti is famous on the Camino.  Almost every blog I have read has a picture of it.   These were some French bikers who were doing the Camino


The smallest church I have seen in Spain


So I am finally on the Meseta.   It's suppose to be like the prairies or Saskatchewan in Canada, flat and boring for miles and miles.   But so far it is nothing like that.   You walk along a flat section like a table top, then you come to a valley which you don't see till you are there.   Some of them have small towns and others have nothing. But you do have to walk down then back out of them.   Then it's more table top.   It is definitely the bread basket of Spain. 


Fields as far as you can see


and another


Then the valley This is where I was going to stop

 

I liked the name of this bar,   KM 469.    I wonder if it's right


This town sucked.   there was nothing here but the bar and an Albergue.   Oh ya, and a Church that was  it.     It was only another 11km to the next bigger town and 5 to a small one so off I went


Finally got a picture of a bird


And some more of these weeds


Up out of the valley to the plains


Yes that's me.  See the cross?   A guy asked me to take a picture of him then said I had to have one to. So here I am everyone.


This is the first town.  Ok the first building.   It is an Albergue that doesn't open until 7:00 p.m.,  and that is all that is here


Lots more wind mills today


Saw this bus pull up ahead and let out a load of people and they walked the Camino for 2km to Hontanas. They were taking pictures of me because I was a true Pilgrim.   It was kind of strange, they were acting like I was some thing special  


This is the name of the place I am at today


And here is the town.    It has it's own charm.


Most of these town would not be here if there was no Camino


a lot of this town is in rough shape.


And a Church



Time to go wash my laundry by hand, and see what we are doing for food tonight. 

2 comments:

  1. Another good travel day, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy you sure are making time.
    The pictures are great.
    Everything is so interesting.
    The Churches look interesting.
    No rain today here.
    Glad you are giving out the flag pins.
    Keep on walking.
    Miss you. Mom.

    ReplyDelete