Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Estella


I started at 6:30 today, that seems like the routine now.  The first thing was a hill.   It seemed a little rough to me making you start your day with a hill.   I guess it is better at the start then the end.  :)  The hardest thing is starting your day without coffee.    I had to walk almost 8km before I found a bar opened.    Try walking 8k for your first coffee of the day, and I guarantee no matter how bad it is, it's going to be good.    I don't know if I told you but a bar is where you get coffee and a cafeteria is where you get booze a little back wards.   This was the view from the first hill.  
I will tell you now because I will forget by the time I finish this blog.    It was a 23.5 km day.



This is a fence where every one picks up sticks and puts them in a cross on the fence.    I skipped that part.


Saw this plaque on a house and wondered if it was the family's coat of arms.   


Another cemetery 


They bury there dead here not like Mexico.   Mexico cemeteries are more like New Orleans. 


This is a rock face I could barely make out when I started walking this morning.   I had to zoom 36 times to get this.    Estella (where I am now) is about 5km from it.


It's funny how you can see a sign that says 16.1km and it makes you happy it's that close


This is Cirauqui a very nice place.  It's on top of a hill and has 360 degree views.


The streets are all up or down.  No flat streets here


View from the top


This is not the best picture of a Roman road.    I was to busy looking where I was stepping to take any other pictures.   Not easy to walk on


This picture screams "These boots have hurt my feet enough!"   it is surprising how much stuff gets left on the trail. I have seen everything from socks to underwear, I even saw a tent with a sign "please take".


Another bridge that is supposed to be a Roman built one.


We crossed under the hwy a lot today.   


Another great view


Old Church


And another bridge


This is San Veremundo the patron of the Camino


An old church


A field of oats full of poppies.   We pay a lot for poppies, and here they are a weed


And I made it to Estella!   The book said when you see the cross you're there


the water fountain leading into town



This sign says only 695km to Santiago

 

This is across from where I am staying


This is Basque country.   They don't even speak Spanish here. These signs are on everything


A real old Church


Even the faces on the people have worn away from the elements


One more bridge


And this is where I am


I was the first one here today that's my backpack with the shell and the umbrella  


Then my 2 Italian friends showed up.  We don't even know one word of each others language.   We were interviewed for a TV station, so he is running around telling everyone he's a movie star. It's an internet station JN1 and it should be on in a week or so.   Now I've made it to the big time internet TV!!!   That is, if I don't land on the cutting room floor....


This is Chris from London and Miriam from Montreal we keep meeting up and hanging for a bit every day.


And this is where I am siting writing this.



Sorry about so many pictures. 

The feet still hurt so I am doing another easy day tomorrow. A little over 20km

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. It must be breathtaking at time. The poppies remind me of the Wizard of Oz. Can you bring me home a few? :) All those tunnels and bottom bunks just might be the cure for your claustrophobia. When I saw the picture of the tunnel I could just imagine you, standing there looking at it for a while before you sucked it up and went through. hahaha Buen Camino my love! I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good day and nice pics.
    Rest those feet and enjoy the hike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah the weather is better!!! Love checking in on you every day. That sign that said 695km was pretty depressing though! enjoy your rest time
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You thought it was depressing I thought it was great. That meant I have done over 110km.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. I enjoy all your pictures.
    It sounds like you are enjoying yourself.
    Rest your feet.
    Miss you.
    Keep on walking.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete