Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Portomarin

Well, today I took the first step and then the second and didn't stop for 4 hours. I ended up going 25km. The ankle did hurt for the first couple of kilometers, but then it went away until the last couple, just to remind me it was still there.  The funny thing is the right knee hurt walking down all the hills today.  I guess I'm falling apart piece by piece.
So this is the first picture of the day. After I climbed the first hill to Old Town then I had to go down into the valley.   This is from the bottom.

Some one climbed half way up the second hill and left this free food and drinks.  I did see this a lot on the trail today.



Going up the first hill was through an oak forest


Part way up the hill was this guy sleeping, right on the trail!


The view from the top of the first hill was so pretty


You could see for miles.  You can see the bridge from the first pic.


Then we had to walk on the pavement for some time


There were lots of drinking fountains along this trail


Kilometre 104


A stream to cross.  See the bridge just for Pilgrims?


I have been hearing about the grain storage buildings and I finally saw my first one.


This was one of the best days for beauty.  Either that or I have been locked up too long.


Walking into one of the small towns


This is one of the new grain  storage buildings.


And another


Another walkway for us to cross over the water


You could see for miles down in the valleys


And this is the big mile stone marker 100.  Only 100 kilometres to go to Santiago!    


Everyone seems to want to write on it


Another great view


And that was the last picture of the walk the camera went dead. For 3 days I sat in a room and I thought the thing was charged.     I guess it wasn't.   I missed so much today like having to get off the trail for the heard of cattle to pass.   And another time about 100 sheep.  Walking into this town over the bridge and up the steps was amazing.   All in the memory for now.

This is the room I ended up with I was in town early enough to get in the Albergue.  There was probably 35 people lined up and they were all young.   Tonight is party night I am sure.
 I am in Arenas if any one needs to book ahead.  31 Euros



Nice room.  The only downside is a shared bathroom.  Maybe I've been spoiled lately.


The church across from where I am

Nice windows




It sure was bright inside


And this is the front

Another cross.  It says Camino Santiago on the bottom


This was the line up at 11am at the Albergue.   I walked right on past it to the Pension half a block down the road to get myself a private room.


And this is the line up at 12.  It went all the way up the side street


You would not believe how many people were walking today.   I passed at least 200 to 300.  
 That's  how fast I walk, (or slow everyone else walks) even though today I did slow down from my normal pace.  It was some thing to see.  There was only one spot along the trail when I was by myself.    So any of you slow walkers you might think about going off the book or leave earlier to get in the Albergue. You know who you are..lol..
So tomorrow I have no idea how far I am going.  It's been a wait and see how the ankle feels for awhile now.    I think I am going to look for private places to stay.    

5 comments:

  1. The scenery looks beautiful.....I don't think it is in your imagination. Glad to see you got walking today....don't push it! It definitely looks like a LOT more people do the last 100k ! I would be looking for private places to stay too!
    B4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to be out of that place. Even if it hurts to walk its better to be moving. And yes I am looking for private places.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you were able to walk, but dont overdo it.
    It is so hot and humid here today.
    Boy the scenery is beautiful.
    Something you will remember for the rest of your life.
    Keep well.
    Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day.
      Walking the hills is a lot more beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Nice to seethat ou are back on the move again, take it easy and soon you will be there.

    ReplyDelete