Friday, July 5, 2013

They really do swing that thing

This is what I have been going to church for.    One giant incense burner.     The story about it goes something like this. In the old days the Pilgrims would come to the church and I guess bathing was not an in thing at the time.   So some smart guy comes up with the idea that if they burn enough incense that it would cover the smell and kill a few of the lice and bed bugs.   So being a church they make it into a ceremony that has continued till this day.   Or it could be that we pilgrims still stink. Another thing I found strange about today was everyone that I talked to that has seen this before, told me that they swing the little incense burner that is usually hanging in the church.    So they must have swung the big one because I was here and the smell is really bad, or some big shot was around.



This is them blessing the smoke or what ever they do.

Then they really get it smoking. It takes 6 guys pulling on the ropes to get it swinging  The guys in red are pulling the ropes.  The guys in green are the Priests



 This pictures shows how long this place is.  See the smoke way down there?

  
This is when they really got that thing swinging


They almost get it to hit the celling


It was something worth seeing, even sitting through all those masses


And it did fill the place with smoke And I didn't smell any more...


You could see the flames inside it


And this is when its slowing down.   With all the smoke in there it's hard to get a clear picture.


And then one of them grabbed it and stopped it, and just like that it was over.   Then everyone started cheering, except me.    I just ran for the door to get some oxygen.   Everyone followed me out and the streets were full of Pilgrims again 


I have not decided if I will go to Madrid tomorrow or not.    I will let you know.


I did two blogs today, so be sure to check the older posts.

4 comments:

  1. YAY! you got to see the incense burner! I am SOOO jealous! But I'm glad you got the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you should be. Told you to stay and walk to the end of the world then you would of been there for it.

      Delete
  2. That was so cool to see, glad you took lotsa pictures.

    ReplyDelete