Monday, July 1, 2013

Negreira

Today I started my walk to the end of the world. The funny thing was as I was passing Kirsten's Hotel she was sitting waiting for a cab to the Airport.    I got to say my good bye to her, and wished her well and thanked her for being such a good walking buddy.   I will miss her.
This is my first picture of the day


And the second the Cathedral


This is what the sky looked like.  It was overcast for the whole day.   But it was a humid day, I think I sweat more today than any other.


After I left he city the trail was like this.


Walked through the forest


Then the paved roads.  I walked on more paved roads today than I have so far.


And I saw more of these grain storage buildings than any other day.


Back on gravel trail


It never lasted long but he scenery was great. And the whole day was up and down hills




It was a great walk


Lots to look at


And many of these


See I told you


I met this old guy who spoke Spanish, and tried to have a conversation with me.  I told him I was from Canada and he kept saying no no Canada.  Kirsten I could have used your Spanish. I gave him a pin from Canada and left him still talking away.


Eventually you come to this hill that goes down for the longest time.


Looking down you just know that you are going to have to walk back out of this valley.


And another one


It was like the never ending hill


2 for 1


And another


See what I mean down down down


And finally the bottom


Ok the bottom means it's time to go up


The first half hour is on a dirt trail


It's a constant up.   Often it's a 10% grade.   Brutal!


At about half way you get to walk on the pavement.   That might sound good, but it is the opposite.    There is no give in the pavement.


There were a couple of views from where the bottom was


Some gave up their shoes here.   I was ready to give up my back pack


After what seemed like forever, there is this sign at the top. That was the longest climb since the first day


And then the down yahoo


I looked for some one to rent this guy from to carry my pack but no one was around.


It was scenic.   Did I say that already?


If it was sunny it would have been beautiful


 So many nice shots.  I wish the camera was better   



OK one more


This was Ponte Maceira, or Apple Bridge.   A nice bridge leading into the town of the same name. 


And waterfall


And another of the waterfall


It's a pretty little town


A lot of pictures here


I just liked the way these flowers looked


Finally off the pavement and we get to go under a bridge


And then I am here


This is where I am staying Hotel Tamara


And this is the water fountain in town center


I was surprised how much road walking there was today.    I guess I should have read more. That one hill was brutal both the down and the up. Again if I would have read that it was like that it might have been easier. So tonight I am doing some reading.    I was told tomorrow is 54% on pavement, and that's all I know so far.   Oh it's 33km also. yah hoo.

4 comments:

  1. Still having a great journey.
    Today is CANADA Day so I went and watched the
    parade. It was good. I didnt stay for the afternoon.
    Sold tickets in front of Sobey's, with one of the Lions members, yesterday.
    Enjoy the rest of the way.
    Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took so long to comment
      Happy Canada day

      Delete
  2. yikes. you should be glad that i wasn´t with you..i would sure to have been griping!
    buen camino! you´re almost done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You griping no I can't believe that.
      Thanks

      Delete