Thursday, July 4, 2013

Finisterra The End Of The World

Today I knew it was going to be a short walk, 14km plus the 3.5 to the light house then back another 3.5 to the hotel.    The extra 7 K, I was not going to do until sunset.
So this morning, I stayed and had breakfast toast and coffee. And didn't leave till 7:35 a.m.


It was a great start walking along the North Atlantic Ocean. There is just something about the ocean that I just love.


It was picture post card morning


The first marker with a distance on it that I came to.


And of course your normal walk by a church


And then the grain bins


I only walked by about a dozen of them today.   Don't worry I didn't put them all on here.    


Then there was the hill.   There is one almost every day or it seemed like that.    And this one was as bad as some. and worse than others.   Of course on the way up I was cursing the damn hill.    But when I got to Finisterra,  I said to other people how easy today was.


At the top you could look back down at the ocean


Alright one more


And I was taking a picture of this building not the grain bin


Along the trail you would get some glimpses of the water


Way over on that point is the light house.    That is where I will be watching the sunset tonight.


Look!  They even use them as lawn ornaments


First good view of Finisterra


And a little closer


And this is looking back from where I came from


The first secluded beach


And then I was at the beach it is quite long


About here is where I made the mistake of staying on the trail instead of walking the beach.   I was too lazy to take the shoes and socks off. After this the trail goes behind the sand hill and you can't see anything for  1.5km.     So anyone following walk the beach, it is  way nicer


This is where I can finally see the beach again


So I get to town and find a room it's like 10:30 and I just don't feel right.    It's like something is missing.    That's when I realize that I need to finish this thing so I head to the light house.    From my room its only   3km so a 6k round trip. What is 6k now a days?   Nothing really.   I just couldn't wait until evening.


It is a walk up the hill but it is so easy. And it seemed to go by fast.


This is looking back at Finisterra


Half way up the hill there is this Pilgrims statue. See what is hanging from him?   It's my umbrella .  I said I would throw it in the ocean then I thought about leaving it here.   But it just didn't seem to be the place to leave it after carrying it across Spain.


As you can tell it keeps getting higher


That is a big fishing boat down there I bet it's 40 feet long.   Give you any idea how high I am getting?


And then the light house


And marker 0


This is looking straight out at the end of the world.


Yes I did do it and with that damn umbrella!


I walked down to that tower thinking like in the movie I would be able to get to the waters edge. Ya right!   There is no chance of that.    Where did they film that part with him throwing the ashes?  Because it was not here.


Can you read the sign it says it is forbidden to leave clothes on the Arial.


This is still 300 meters from the water and as far as you could go



There are all kinds of places where people have burnt their clothes or tried to and just ended up leaving them.

This is looking back up at the light house



See what is hanging on the tower?    I jumped as high as I could and hooked it on, and that is where it is going to stay for some time.


You can see it hanging there


I think this says it all.  The boot at the end of the trail


You know I asked 3 different people to take my picture before a real Pilgrim came along,  and just took the camera and took the picture.. It's funny how when you do this walk you are all friends but you don't know them at all.  The ones that just took the bus here have no idea what  The Way is.  It sure is not the walk, it's the people.   At least for me it was. There are many that I will never forget.


Then it was the walk back.    I felt different knowing it was over. No more getting up and walking for 4 to 8 hours. It really is over


This is the view from my room.  So what I have to walk up 5 flights of stairs?   I can see the ocean, in Spain!!!!!


Another view


This is my passport


The final stamp at the light house. They do give you one more when you get your certificate


And this is  the certificat.   I like it better than the one at Santiago


So all that is left is to walk up to the light house and watch the sun set and burn some clothes.    6 more sleeps before I go home, and I have no idea what the next 5 days have in store for me.     



19 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! I'm glad that it did wrap up for you! and leaving your umbrella on that "monument" of leftovers by pilgrims is perfect! Did you burn clothes?!?
    Mucho congratulations on finishing the WHOLE WAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going back up I am leaving here at 9 then the walk up and the wait for the sun to set. I am taking some clothes that I am going to try and burn even if they don't burn just to leave them there is fine with me. I am heading back to Santiago tomorrow so I can buy some stuff there. I want that Grey shirt we saw if I can find it.
      Thanks again

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on finishing your camino and for sharing it!
    Perhaps each day is to be savoured and not rushed, but enjoyed for just itself and what it brings your way, each one a step on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comments and thanks for reading the blog.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations babe! I am proud of you, happy for you, and miss you! I'll see you in six more sleeps. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you forget to pick me up at the airport.
      Thanks for putting up with me and my crazy ideas.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Gerry! You have so much to be proud of, what an accomplishment! I've followed the blog the whole time you've been gone. Thanks so much for sharing so many memories with all of us.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. Yes I am proud of my self. This has been a learning experience about myself. And I have so many memories of things I have done and seen on this little walk.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations.
    What an amazing experience.
    You sure have seen an amazing lot of things along the way.
    Will see you soon.
    Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, we enjoyed the tour, and all the sights, thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks George one thing I could always count on and that's you reading my blog. You have been there for it all.

      Delete
  7. Gerry,

    Congratulations on your accomplishment.

    Blessings,

    Lynn
    (fellow blogger of: Life with Lynnie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn hope you enjoyed the blog.

      Delete
    2. I have enjoyed this blog, and your previous one, too! Blessings... Lynn

      Delete
  8. Way to hang in there Gerry!,...You have experienced so much,...I'm looking forward to hearing your tales when you return. Dinners on me,..perhaps we can (walk?) to a nice restaurant somewhere? lol.

    cya soon,
    leo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Leo didn't Brenda tell you I am selling the car and only walking from now on. I finally got these feet broke in.
      Ok I'll take you up on that dinner.
      Be home soon

      Delete