Sunday, May 19, 2013

Getting ready

This has been quite the learning experience. I didn't know that I would be packing and unpacking my backpack so many times. Or weighing every thing I have and trying to decide what I can live without. The most popular belief is the backpack should only weigh 10% of your weight. Who new that.  To get to 10%   you have to decide if you take things like shaving cream that well get rid of  56 grams plus the razor another .5grams. Do I take underwear or maybe I can live with one shirt and who really needs deodorant.   How about tooth paste or even a toothbrush.  So at some point you get to this is what it weighs and I will have to live with it. I wonder if I can hire someone to carry my pack as long as I find a fat person it will only be 10% of their weight,  I thought I should gain a lot ( note to self eat more ); so simple, why didn't I think of that a month ago?

Tickets are bought. I leave 11.59 am on the 29th Toronto to North Carolina change planes  after a 3hr layover fly to Madrid land at 7.10 am on the 30th,  2.5 hour layover then fly to Barcelona,  1.5hr layover then fly to Pamplona,  arrive at 1.05 pm then I have to find a ride for the remaining 45 kl. Sounds like an easy day and a half.   Oh ya then I have to find a place to stay.
Sounds fun so far, then sleep get up and walk  a mere 26 kl over a mountain.  So far it all sounds easy.

This is a map of where I am walking. The little squares show legs or days walk this one shows 36 days to Santiago with out stopping . and 40 days to Finisterre The coast or the end of the world. The distance from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela is 789.1 km or 490.3 miles.

This is a list of Albergues ( Hostels ) Some I well be staying at.  Other times I will be splurging and staying in hotels or Motels.     http://wisepilgrim.com/camino_frances/albergue_directory



9 comments:

  1. Very cool! Good luck, we'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a strange flight plan...what made you choose that route?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Price. It was the cheapest route Gerry was willing to put himself through. He's taken a page from the Kevin and Ruth bible! lol
      Two way flight is just over $900.00

      Delete
  3. Glad that you are ready to do this great adventure, Good luck and hace too much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all...Take care of yourself. Second...HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! Too bad you don't weigh over two hundred pounds, like me. Then you'd be able to take a lot more with you. Or, like me, you wouldn't even consider a hike like that>

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. wait, you're getting a ride from the airport to your hotel?? I thought this was a WALKING adventure??? I kid. Have fun. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mom.you should sign your name so I know its you

    ReplyDelete