Thursday, May 30, 2013

A long day

I finally made it to St. Jean Port de Pied, France. 
This was one long day it's 5.15 pm.  I have no idea what time that is at home. I do know I am a day ahead.
I walked around town and went to the pilgrims office. I found out I can't walk over the mountain because it's snowing up there. They are telling everyone not to go over it. So I guess I will be taking the lower route tomorrow. It follows the road and only goes up to 1000 meters. I came that way with the taxi today and it sure did look steep.
I walked around the city and took some pictures. This is the river in the centre of city.


The old bridge has  been there for hundreds of years. I'm not sure if it was one that the Roman's built.  Right now it is too much work to look it up.


The city still has some of its wall this is a walkway under it.  This walkway is in a scene from the movie The Way.  



See the angle on the street?   I was tired just walking it. Could be from no sleep. I am hoping that.


That's the Church and the walkway under the tower.


I knew I was in France when I saw this car. No idea what kind it is.


This is just to show what the mountain looks like. Even if I could walk over it I wouldn't be able to see anything.


Tomorrow is the start of the walk. I only have to do 24km in the rain up 1000m should be an easy day.

9 comments:

  1. Yay you made it!! Besides tiring how was the trip? You found a place to stay I assume? What is the name of the city you are in? It looks nice. Too bad you can't go over the mountain....I didn't know there even was a lower route?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can go but they are warning not to. And I don't have winter cloth's. It's better to be safe than sorry.

      Delete
  2. Never mind the question about the name of the town....I figured it out! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great you are now there and ready to go.Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it would be a lot better without the rain and snow...But I am the one that signed up for this all I can do is keep smiling.

      Delete
  4. YEAH!!!! Youre there! My brother's in Italy, my father's in Spain and I am in Niagara, which according to a report released today is the WORST place in Canada for employment!!! Thankfully, I have a job! Can't wait to watch your adventure unfold. SLEEP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck Gerry, you are a brave fella. The car is a Citroen 2CV. You will be seeing some amazing scenery on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am extremely excited for you babe. I hope you get a good nights sleep to start your journey with. Be well, be safe, have a blast! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend of mine tells me the cute little car is known as a Deux Cheveaux - a 2 horse. Cheap and cute little 2 cylinder things that have been around forever.

    ReplyDelete